Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Build the Board

The dual logins would deter some people. One login gets one into the Nationalist home site and another gets one into the forum. Nothing makes that clear as far as I know. I figured it out. One might get the idea that their forum subscription went poof!, trying to login from the banner line or home page rather than from within the forum.

Secondly, the forum does not appear to have a charter statement, so one cannot easily tell if they belong here, i.e. fit in or likely to survive 10 posts without getting banned.

That charter statement should also include how this forum seeks to be different than some others. That could include which topics are verboten, the emphasis or lack thereof on sanity and civility, the degree of censorship, and the level of tolerance for those not quite in line with the desired ideology (how big is the tent?)

Some sites are little more than infighting drama in the "lounge" or retard area. One might want to explain how this site is different by intent.

State what the site owners are unwilling to host. I think many are sensitive about to which groups they associate and how they might be represented by others.

Quote Originally Posted by whitelikeme View Post
    The dual logins would deter some people. One login gets one into the Nationalist home site and another gets one into the forum. Nothing makes that clear as far as I know. I figured it out. One might get the idea that their forum subscription went poof!, trying to login from the banner line or home page rather than from within the forum.

Secondly, the forum does not appear to have a charter statement, so one cannot easily tell if they belong here, i.e. fit in or likely to survive 10 posts without getting banned.

That charter statement should also include how this forum seeks to be different than some others. That could include which topics are verboten, the emphasis or lack thereof on sanity and civility, the degree of censorship, and the level of tolerance for those not quite in line with the desired ideology (how big is the tent?)

Some sites are little more than infighting drama in the "lounge" or retard area. One might want to explain how this site is different by intent.

State what the site owners are unwilling to host. I think many are sensitive about to which groups they associate and how they might be represented by others.
    The separate log-ins are necessary as one is for subscribers to The Nationalist Times to read the subscriber-only material, and the other is a routine log-in to post on this discussion board. Anyone can join this board, but only actual NT subscribers can access the subscriber-only material, so we're talking about two different functions that require different software and log-ins.

I think the various forum titles give a good idea as to how well someone would fit in here. This is a troll-free and flame-free forum, so that could be made more clear in the posting guidelines.

Just about any Nationalist oriented person is welcome to post here as long as they are civil. Thanks for the input, whitelikeme, I guess my question remains, how do we get more people here, so that they can decide whether they fit in or not?
    Editor, The Nationalist Times, Voice of the Real America since 1985

The board was overdue for a tune-up so I gave it a major one last night. New forum categories and a number of new forums were added.

The only forums eliminated were "Washington's Foreign Policy" and "The Iraq War," which were merged into a new forum called "War is Peace." All threads from the two deleted forums are now in the new merged forum.

If you have any suggestions concerning further improvements feel free to post them on this thread.

Kudos to you for keeping everything going, Don. Is there any way we could have a return to.....

* The old search box, which would find you absolutely any sequence of characters in any context? 'Twas my right arm here. Sometimes I just need to search all thread titles containing a short word, or all words containing a certain element in thread bodies.

* Full URLs in posts, no ellipses? I like being able to instantly eyeball the complete line.

* Arial main font and pages not quite so wide? My main puter still has monitor view area just 10.5" wide.

Advertise exactly what you told me. If this site is intended to be troll free and flame free and is adminsitered in that spirit, that is a really big deal compared to other WN oriented sites. That alone would attract many in my opinion. Not everyone likes the drama of trolling, flaming, and bullying of newbees or others who don't quite have the mantras down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson4 View Post
    Kudos to you for keeping everything going, Don. Is there any way we could have a return to.....

* The old search box, which would find you absolutely any sequence of characters in any context? 'Twas my right arm here. Sometimes I just need to search all thread titles containing a short word, or all words containing a certain element in thread bodies.

* Full URLs in posts, no ellipses? I like being able to instantly eyeball the complete line.

* Arial main font and pages not quite so wide? My main puter still has monitor view area just 10.5" wide.
    I have no control over V-Bulletin software. The width of the site is built-in programming, and I like the dimensions of it. I'm not sure what you mean by "full URLs." The links appear when I view them.

Where a URL of any length is included in a post, the beginning and end show with dots in between.

"Power Template Engine for Advanced Customization"
    "Search Engine Optimization"
    https://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?...forum-features

I have no idea how to change that, or if it can be changed.

I read you loud and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by whitelikeme View Post
    Advertise exactly what you told me. If this site is intended to be troll free and flame free and is adminsitered in that spirit, that is a really big deal compared to other WN oriented sites. That alone would attract many in my opinion. Not everyone likes the drama of trolling, flaming, and bullying of newbees or others who don't quite have the mantras down yet.
    Howdy WhiteLikeMe. It is GREAT to have you aboard. Hope you can stick around for awhile. RG88