Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diversity good or bad?

People claim that America is built off diversity, but is diversity really good for America? America has always been primarily a white country regardless of what anyone says. However, since we live by such mottos, "Land of the Free, all men are created equal" people see us as the all tolerant nation. This pretty much opens the door to any third worlder with the idea of wanting a better life. But, these newer immigrants aren't trying to adapt to us like the immigrants before us. These newer immigrants want us to adapt to them. Certainly, there is something troublesome with having such a diverse country. First, I'll comment religions aren't always tolerant of eachother. So, introducing a large amount of muslims to me would not be such a great idea. Not to say that all muslims are bad. To entirely change the demographic of America by letting countless number of Mexican immigrants in to me is also not good. This drastically changes the look and feel of America. Anyway, I'll try to write more later when I have time.

Bear-Arms,I feel that the "change of demographics" in the country are just what the "New World Order " folks are after.Destroy the culture,and you destroy the country.The problem is that so many people don't realize that it's happening!

The Nationalist Times continues to get the message out,and hopefully people will take advantage of the subscription rate offer,and not only read,but also distribute this fine patriotic paper.

Bear-Arms, your question is really good, but
    difficult to answer for two reasons; the word diversity has a
    dictionary definition but also symbolizes the quantity of blacks and
    hispanics. Liberals say that Grambling has a lot of
    diversity. It is also hard to decide what is good for
    America sometimes because all Americans have a different viewpoint of
    the perfect society.

Diversity in its dictionary definition usage is very
    good for America because it allows for many cultures to be included in
    American life which means more opportunity and more freedom
    ultimately. In its new context, it is an action without substance
    that exists not to aid society but to reduce freedoms by emphasizing
    pre-determined traits.

One thing that is important is to not allow
    many cultures to be destroyed and jumbled into a homogenous, drab
    lifestyle. While cultures should collude, they need to be kept
    distinct from each other. Collusions of cultures should form new
    cultures, but the original cultures must also be kept alive.
    Otherwise, Americans will not be able to think clearly and could be
    brainwashed easily.

This is not happening. Cultures merge and then
    are completely destroyed. This inhibits thought and makes the
    human mind weaker because without strong cultures, one cannot have a
    strong identity.

Freedom in its true form is not the right to do whatever one wishes, but the right to have a will that triumphs and makes one successful.

“Diversity” as defined by the liberal/neocon elite is weakness in
    reality. It causes cracks in the foundation of the country.
    “Diversity” is a very destructed force.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    “Diversity” as defined by the liberal/neocon elite is weakness in reality. It causes cracks in the foundation of the country. “Diversity” is a very destructed force.

Diversity has ALWAYS been a cause of instability.

Austria-Hungary (Germans, Hungarians, Czechs, Slovaks, Ruthenes, Poles, Ukrainians. Slovenes, Croats, Bosnians, Romanians, etc) flew apart in 1918. Yugoslavia (Slovenes, Croats, Bosnians, Serbs) broke up several years ago. Czechoslovakia split up between Czechs and Slovaks. Belgium (Dutch-speaking Flemings and French-speaking Walloons) has always had problems; the Vlaams Blok wants to secede and form the Flemish Republic.

The only successful nation is Switzerland, where the three linguistic groups (German, French, Italian) have regional autonomy, and, unlike the U.S., the government makes no effort to enforce integration.

W.
    The greatest threat to freedom is not foreign governments. It is our own.

Governments can't have totalitarian powers as easily when there is a homogeneous, well-educated, alert population. A country filled with numerous races and religions can only be controlled by a powerful government. Also, Big Business prefers cheap labor both here and abroadto paying a livable wage to white Americans.
    Liberty and Self-Determination for Everyone

Actually, Switzerland has 4 linguistic groups I
    believe. Romansh is also a language. It is very important
    as it is a link to the European people's. It also is very
    old so it can help keep traditions alive which strengthen society.

Edited by: KELLEN
    Freedom in its true form is not the right to do whatever one wishes, but the right to have a will that triumphs and makes one successful.

Diversity is displacement,that will lead to replacement of the White race !

Is it displacement, replacement,
    or destruction. What will replace European Americans?

Switzerland is a good example of a successful
    country with a lot of diversity. Argentina is another example.

Edited by: KELLEN

Switzerland is a successful country in large part because it isn't diverse racially.
    Liberty and Self-Determination for Everyone

I guess this thread is based on the question of whether diversity is even a benefit to a given society -- much less the liberally-defined chimera constantly shoved up our nose. Here's a great example of where it actually leads -- the "issue" of Andrew Young's now-famous (and getting famouser) remark about Wal-Mart's impact on communities, i.e. that it's "good" all those thousands of mom-and-pop stores go out of business because of how they've supposedly ripped off ghetto dwellers, “selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables.”

As it turns out, his slam was directed at "Jewish, Arab and Korean store owners" -- tsk, tsk, not in the script!

The score so far: "black leaders" and are drumming one of their biggest stars out of the diversity chorus line, not because of how he's damaged the American social fabric for 40-50 years but how he dissed the very concept of the rainbow nation.

There was a time when newspapers did not waste pages of space with gunk like this.

Different Focus in Atlanta on Young’s Remark http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/19/us...tml?th&emc =th

"Is diversity good or bad?"

In the nasty now-and-now, IMHO, diversity can be used to slow down the tyranny of big oppressive gov't. How?

Diversity, and the mouth-breathing people who qualify for diversity, doesn't work. Not the political dogma or the people. It and them don't work.

Which is why I support massive quantities of diversity staffing such alphabet soup organisations as the IRS.

I have noticed some really stupid oversights and errors coming out of the IRS over the past decade. They are not as effiecient as they use to be. Maybe that's why they are hiring white run collection agencies to do their work for them (which IMO, is dangerous to the citisens)

My theory is diversity slows down and impedes any organisation, private or public. In some cases, this may work to our benefit.

I also support an all female yankee armed forces, all female FBI, BATF, DEA, etc. And anyone who does not agree with this is a BIGOT (LOL!).

When any organization get enough Affirmative Action non-whites who can not do the job they are suppose to be doing the whole organization will collapse. In time, it will slowly bring down business after business and government agency after government agency until chaos comes.

Again, PJB sums up for us how very simple many supposedly "daunting problems" and "anguishing crises" are. His facts here are indisputible (in case anybody doesn't already see them plain as day, every day all day)........ but that won't stop liberals from indulging in endless theatrical hand-wringing, Hegelian tear-jerking, and Macchiavellian funding of studies and commissions on "the epidemic of violence in our society", ad nauseam.

http://www.theamericancause.org/

The Dark Side of Diversity

by Patrick Buchanan
    May 1 , 2007

Since the massacre of 32 students and teachers at Virginia Tech, the mainstream media have obsessed over the fact the crazed gunman was able to buy a Glock in the state of Virginia.

Little attention has been paid to the Richmond legislators who voted to make “Hokie Nation,” a Middle American campus of 26,000 kids, a gun-free zone where only the madman had a semi-automatic.

Almost no attention has been paid to the fact that Cho Seung-Hui was not an American at all, but an immigrant, an alien. Had this deranged young man who secretly hated us never come here, 32 people would be heading home from Blacksburg for summer vacation.

What was Cho doing here? How did he get in?

Cho was among the 864,000 Koreans here as a result of the Immigration Act of 1965, which threw the nation’s doors open to the greatest invasion in history, an invasion opposed by a majority of our people. Thirty-six million, almost all from countries whose peoples have never fully assimilated in any Western country, now live in our midst.Cho was one of them.

In stories about him, we learn he had no friends, rarely spoke and was a loner, isolated from classmates and roommates. Cho was the alien in Hokie Nation. And to vent his rage at those with whom he could not communicate, he decided to kill in cold blood dozens of us.

What happened in Blacksburg cannot be divorced from what’s been happening to America since the immigration act brought tens of millions of strangers to these shores, even as the old bonds of national community began to disintegrate and dissolve in the social revolutions of the 1960s.

To intellectuals, what makes America a nation is ideas – ideas in the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, Gettysburg Address and Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.

But documents no matter how eloquent and words no matter how lovely do not a nation make. Before 1970, we were a people, a community, a country. Students would have said aloud of Cho: “Who is this guy? What’s the matter with him?”

Teachers would have taken action to get him help – or get him out.

Since the 1960s, we have become alienated from one another even as millions of strangers arrive every year. And as Americans no longer share the old ties of history, heritage, faith, language, tradition, culture, music, myth or morality, how can immigrants share those ties?

Many immigrants do not assimilate. Many do not wish to. They seek community in their separate subdivisions of our multicultural, multiracial, multiethnic, multilingual mammoth mall of a nation. And in numbers higher than our native born, some are going berserk here.

The 1993 bombers of the World Trade Center and the killers of 9-11 were all immigrants or illegals. Colin Ferguson, the Jamaican who massacred six and wounded 19 in an anti-white shooting spree on the Long Island Railroad, was an illegal. John Lee Malvo, the Beltway Sniper, was flotsam from the Caribbean.

Angel Resendez, the border-jumping rapist who killed at least nine women, was an illegal alien. Julio Gonzalez, who burned down the Happy Land social club in New York, killing 87, arrived in the Mariel boatlift.

Ali Hassan Abu Kama, who wounded seven, killing one, in a rampage on the observation deck of the Empire State Building, was a Palestinian. As was Sirhan Sirhan, the assassin of Robert Kennedy.

The rifleman who murdered two CIA employees at the McLean, Va., headquarters was a Pakistani. When Chai Vang, a Hmong, was told by a party of Wisconsin hunters to vacate their deer stand, he shot six to death. Peter Odighizuwa, the gunman who killed the dean, a teacher and a student at the Appalachian School of Law, was a Nigerian.

Hesham Hadayet, who shot up the El Al counter at LAX, killing two and wounding four, was an Egyptian immigrant. Gamil al-Batouti, the copilot who yelled, “I put my faith in Allah’s hands,” as he crashed his plane into the Atlantic after departing JFK Airport, killing 217, was an Egyptian.

Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, the UNC graduate who ran his SUV over nine people on Chapel Hill campus and said he was “thankful for the opportunity to spread the will of Allah,” was an Iranian.

Juan Corona, who murdered 25 people in California to be ranked with the likes of Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy, was a Mexican.

Where does one find such facts? On VDARE.com, a website that covers the dark side of diversity covered up by a politically correct media, which seem to believe it is socially unhealthy for us Americans to see any correlation at all between mass migrations and mass murder.

“In our diversity is our strength!” So we are endlessly lectured.

But are we really a better, safer, freer, happier, more united and caring country than we were before, against our will, we became what Theodore Roosevelt called “a polyglot boarding house for the world”?
    Join The Cause | About The Cause | On The Issues | Projects/Events
    Resources | Archives | Contact Us | Search
    Patrick J. Buchanan - Chairman | Angela "Bay" Buchanan - President
    THE AMERICAN CAUSE
    501 Church St. Suite 202 Vienna, VA 22180
    Phone: (703) 255-2632
    Webmaster: americancause@gmail.com
    Copyright © 2006, The American Cause. All Rights Reserved

Edited by: nelson

I am placing this here specifically so we'll all have something to lovingly throw in our politicians' faces when they attempt to defend the Iraq "War" re "We have to figt them there, or we'll have to fight them here". My idiot just did -- his bleat and my response are in the "Pileup" thread.

PLEASE do it! Be good to save the webpage for printing out and smail mailing as needed.

Everything for the "other" -- nothing for us.

A private ministate for them -- foreclosures and disenfranchisement for us.

THEY are everything to the politicians in the District of Cesspool -- WE DO NOT EXIST.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/...iams051107.htm
    <br style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(102, 0, 0);"><h3 style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(102, 0, 0);">Springtime in Islamberg</h3>

<h1 style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(102, 0, 0);">Radical Muslim paramilitary compound flourishes in upper New York state</h1>

By Paul L. Williams Ph.D., (author of THE DAY OF ISLAM)

With files from Douglas Hagmann, Northeast Intelligence Network,

2006 article: Pakistani terror Sheikh angry over investigative report
    With the able assistance of Bill Krayer and Michael Travis
    Friday, May 11, 2007

<table style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(102, 0, 0);" align="left" border="0" width="210"><t><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td><div align="center">Dr. Paul Williams at the entrance of Islamberg</div></td></tr></t></table>
    Situated within a dense forest at the foothills of the Catskill
    Mountains on the outskirts of Hancock, New York, Islamberg is not an
    ideal place for a summer vacation unless, of course, you are an
    exponent of the Jihad or a fan of Osama bin Laden.
    </span> The 70 acre complex is surrounded with "No trespassing" signs; the
    rocky terrain is infested with rattlesnakes; and the woods are home to
    black bears, coyotes, wolves, and a few bobcats.

Update on story: May 22, 2007"Islamberg" founder Sheikh Gilani blames Doug Hagmann for CFP story

Update on story: May 21, 2007 Islamberg not the only radical Muslim compound flourishing in North America

Update on story: Blogger who posted CFP Islamberg story had life threatened

<table style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(102, 0, 0);" align="right" border="0" width="210"><t><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td><div align="center">Muslim Lane</div></td></tr></t></table>
    The entrance to the community is at the bottom of a very steep hill
    that is difficult to navigate even on a bright sunny day in May. The
    road, dubbed Muslim Lane, is unpaved and marred by deep crevices that
    have been created by torrential downpours. On a wintry day, few, save
    those with all terrain vehicles, could venture forth from the remote
    encampment.
    </span> A sentry post has been established at the base of the hill.

The sentry, at the time of this visit, is an African American
    dressed in Islamic garb - - a skull cap, a prayer shawl, and a loose
    fitting shalwat kameez. He instructs us to turn around and leave. "Our community is not open to visitors," he says.

Behind the sentry and across a small stream stand dozens of
    inhabitants of the compound - - the men wearing skull caps and loose
    fitting tunics, the women in full burqa. They appear ready to deal with
    any unauthorized intruders.

The hillside is blighted by rusty trailers that appear to be
    without power or running water and a number of outhouses. The scent of
    raw sewage is in the air.

The place is even off limits to the local undertaker who says that
    he has delivered bodies to the complex but has never been granted
    entrance. "They come and take the bodies from my hearse. They won't
    allow me to get past the sentry post. They say that they want to
    prepare the bodies for burial. But I never get the bodies back. I don't
    know what's going on there but I don't think it's legal."

On the other side of the hill where few dare to go is a tiny
    village replete with a make-shift learning center (dubbed the
    "International Quranic Open University"); a trailer converted into a
    Laundromat; a small, green community center; a small and rather squalid
    grocery store; a newly constructed </span><i style="font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(102, 0, 0);">majid[/i]; over forty clapboard homes; and scores of additional trailers........................</span>

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->I have (believe it or not) a cousin who rejects everything established and traditional in our culture, including Christianity and all the ancestors that produced him. He sends mass email updates on the state of things at the family headquarters and ends with feelgood liberal sermons. His nominally Christian upbringing tells on him -- he's a good family man and very upbeat, but sometimes (you know me) I can't help responding to his classically hippie preachments, supplying links from my killer master file of them—speshly when they're partly drected to me:

People say science "proves', but they're only reporting what they heard - and how often do 2 people even hear - or emphasize - the same thing when they listen to a report? Not always different, but frequently, and it would only be a matter of time before you found someone who gave a different summary of the report! This could be a problem, unless we all agreed that diversity is a plus and we celebrated it - celebrated all the possibilities that there are - perhaps in celebrating diversity, we might even find unity!</span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(0, 51, 153);"><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(0, 51, 153);">A bleak picture of the corrosive effects of ethnic diversity has been revealed in research by Harvard Universitys Robert Putnam, one of the worlds most influential political scientists but he only calls for more accommodation of the newcomers:</span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);"> http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives...arvard_study_p .php</span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);"></span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">Ironies piled on diversity ironies: Hibbing Community College May Sack Football</span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);"> http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives...ibbing_communi .php</span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);"></span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">The blessings of diversity in a nation of immigrants</span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">http://amren.com/Reports/Hispanics/Hispanics.htm</span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">In California, the cost of free medical care for illegal aliens forced 60 hospitals to close between 1993 and 2003.</span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);"> http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives...oots_of_latino .php</span><br style="font-family: Courier New,Courier,mono; color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">For example, one African American resident was murdered by Latino gang members as he looked for a parking space near his Highland Park home. In another case, a woman was knocked off her bicycle and her husband was threatened with a box cutter by one of the defendants, who said, "You ******s have been here long enough."</span>......<br style="font-style: italic;">

Nelson,

We all have things in our family tree that are shameful. Like one of my Great Great Grandmother’s was born in 1858 in New England and I know my Great Grandmother was very pro-Yankee! But we don’t choose our relatives.

But you still have a chance to show yours the truth.

You think you've got problems, Michael? Some of my best Virginia lines actually came down from New England! And the family of myfamousest ancestor (M.D. Hoge) firstmade landfall at PERTH AMBOY, JEW JERSEY, in 1682.

http://www.faithinwriting.com/Tradition/Runner/index.htm

Now, the item I actually came here to add: a fine article by Jared Taylor. If anybody finds a link for it, please let me know.

He uses the word homogeneity, but I think we need a new word: MONOVERSITY.

In Praise of Homogeneity: The Japanese know how to run a country.

have just returned from several weeks in Japan, and am again struck by the forceful example that country offers of the advantages of homogeneity. As the years go by, Japan's steady record of successes stands in ever-greater contrast to America's failures, and to its inability to think seriously about the kind of country it is becoming. Japan is not without problems, of course, and some are disconcerting by our standards. But the Japanese have a much better chance than we do of surviving into the next century as a coherent, prosperous nation with a culture and civilization it can unmistakably call its own.

Japan is one of the most homogeneous countries on earth. Ethnic Japanese make up 98.5 percent of the population, followed by Koreans and Chinese at 0.5 and 0.4 percent. The largest non-Japanese populations are, therefore, from closely related races and are visually indistinguishable from the majority. Wherever you go in Japan, you are likely to see Japanese and only Japanese.

(PHOTO CAPTION: A weekend crowd in Osaka. How many are non-Japanese? How many are fat?

Japan is at the same time a sound refutation of the view that homogeneity means dull uniformity. (This is the implication, of course, of the common assertion that immigrants have livened up the United States, saving it, presumably, from the suffocating sameness of whiteness.) Japan has as much variety--cultural, esthetic, culinary--as anyone could want. Whether it is clothing styles, amateur orchestras, motorcycle clubs, art exhibits, restaurants or museums, visitors are struck by the rich variety of Japanese life. There are endless ways to be Japanese. Thus, traditional Japanese instruments like the koto and shamisen have never been more popular, but Japan also produces internationally-known classical musicians. In addition to its own sports like sumo or judo, Japan has mastered baseball to the point that it sends Japanese stars to the major leagues.

American orthodoxy about immigration and diversity suggests that a country could not have without a colony of Italians, or golf and Scotch whiskey without Scots. Japan proves that a country can open itself to what it considers the best foreign influences while shutting out foreign people. Japan therefore has first-rate opera without Italians, jazz without blacks, heavy metal without Brits and some of the best "Western" science and technology without Westerners. What Japan does not have is "honor killings," voodoo, MS-13, bilingualism or racial tension, and it will never have these things if it keeps to its current no-immigration policy.

We are told over and over that immigration is an inevitable consequence of world travel, of a shrinking globe, and that without big doses of foreigners a country cannot be truly international or participate in the global economy. Again, Japan proves this is nonsense. It is a full participant in everything from the G8 Conference of industrialized nations to Rotary International. It is a considerably more successful participant than the United States in the global economy, exporting 9.7 percent of its GDP versus 7.8 percent for us, and registering a trade surplus of $168 billion in 2006 as opposed to our staggering deficit of $836 billion. Anyone who told the Japanese they would improve their trade balance or understand the world better if they would only let in a million Puerto Ricans or Haitians would be politely escorted to the nut hatch. Japanese believe they are entirely capable of handling their affairs themselves.

It is important to realize, however, that the fruits of homogeneity are profoundly different for the Japanese than they would be for, say, the Yoruba or the Cherokee, who could probably have been left homogeneous for centuries without emerging from the state in which Europeans found them (see next article). International testing has repeatedly shown that Japanese have a very high average IQ--three to five points above the European average--and any society they build will reflect this. But if homogeneity brings out a group's most characteristic traits, what characterizes the Japanese?

Japanese behave in many ways as they and other North Asians do in the United States. Japan has, for example, one of the lowest rates of violent crime in the world. The murder rate is approximately one tenth that of the United States (about 0.5 murders per 100,000) and the robbery rate is on the order of one 150th (about one per 100,000). Japanese, both in Japan and in the United States, have lower rates of violent crime even when compared only to white Americans, and although it is not easy to get accurate statistics, violent crime rates for Japanese are essentially the same whether they live in Japan, where there is very tight gun control, or in the US, where guns are plentiful.

(PHOTO CAPTION: Earthquakes but no looting.

(Interestingly, of all the foreign groups living in Japan, Africans are the most crime prone, with rates considerably above the native Japanese rate. Europeans and Americans commit the least crime, with rates below native Japanese rates. Africans and whites resident in Japan are much better behaved than the averages for their groups back in their native countries, because Japan is careful about whom it lets in, even temporarily. This keeps crime rates for resident or transient whites--but not for blacks--lower even than the very low native Japanese rate. Even the tiny number of carefully selected blacks living in Japan are still the most crime-prone group in the country.)

At the same time, Japanese police are good at solving the small number of violent crimes Japanese commit: 95 percent of murders and 75 percent of robberies, compared to 65 percent and 25 percent in the United States. Police do not have to worry about some groups refusing to cooperate with the police for fear of being called "snitches." Japan has crime syndicates called yakuza, but they mainly run gambling, prostitution, and protection rackets. Yakuza touch ordinary people's lives about as much as the cosa nostra touches ordinary Americans.

The net effect for Japanese society is that there is essentially no place at no time that is or feels unsafe. Even if a huge crowd of young people were let out of a rock concert late at night, passersby might think they were a little boisterous, but no one would feel afraid.

Japanese are therefore much less security-conscious than Americans. There are no neighborhoods in which drivers nervously lock their car doors. Even in big cities, no one has triple locks on his doors, and doorman-security buildings are more status symbol than necessity. There are flowerbeds in public places where they would be torn up in any American big city. In the US, restrooms in subways were locked up decades ago because bums, loonies, and psychopaths lived in them. In Japan, public restrooms are plentiful and safe.

Japanese still trust each other the way small-town Americans used to trust each other. It rained one day during a recent stay in Osaka. When the bellhop at my hotel leant me an umbrella he didn't even ask for my room number; he took it for granted I would bring the umbrella back.

Perhaps one of the most striking examples of Japanese respect for the law and for each other was the aftermath of the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995. This was a major quake that killed more than 6,400 people, and caused property damage worth about 2.5 percent of Japan's gross domestic product that year, making it one of the most costly natural disasters in history. The deaths were not scattered around the country but were concentrated in Kobe, a major port city with a population of 1.5 million. Not only were there no reports of looting, there was a huge outpouring of private and corporate volunteerism, and even the Yamaguchi-gumi yakuza mobilized to help distribute food. There would have been very ugly scenes in any major American city if a disaster killed thousands, paralyzing the authorities.

Still, what probably first strikes a visitor from America is the sense that Japan is simply more advanced than the US. There are many things that contribute to this impression, but some of the most important are that everything seems to work, everything is clean, everything is orderly, everything spruce and tidy. Even the international airports by which most people arrive in Japan are cleaner and more efficient than Kennedy, Dulles, or San Francisco. The personnel are quietly competent, luggage shows up quickly, and there are helpful signs in several languages to guide you through customs.

But it is outside the air terminal that the impression of Japanese superiority gains force. The taxis are sparklingly clean, driven by courteous, well-dressed Japanese--unlike the battered hulks driven by loutish immigrants that turn up at most American airports. Buses that serve the airports are spotless, and leave on time, practically to the second. As the traveler continues on his way, this impression of efficiency, cleanliness, and competence only grows.

It is almost impossible to find loose garbage in Japan, graffiti, broken sidewalks or tumble-down buildings. There are practically no vacant, overgrown lots, and hardly anything that could be called a slum. By American standards, it is as if the entire country were manicured, with every square foot tidied and cared for. It is almost impossible to find a beat-up old car. Japanese keep cars clean, and have dents repaired after minor accidents. In probably no other country are roads more carefully and meticulously marked with turning lanes and crossings, or equipped with so many guardrails and pedestrian over- and underpasses.

There are no potholes in Japan. For some years on trips there--even into the countryside--I have looked hard for potholes, and there is none to be found. On the island of Shikoku, the smallest of the four main islands, I recently asked a man in the construction business about potholes. He told me crews keep the roads patched up or resurfaced, and if a crack in the pavement gets any wider than about half an inch, the local people call city hall to complain.

It is not as though white people are incapable of taking care of a country the way the Japanese do. Scandinavia and parts of Northern Europe are said to have the same meticulous sheen, but I have no first-hand experience.

Japanese are completely unprepared for some of the rougher aspects of American urban reality. One day last summer I was with a carload of Japanese on their way to the federal courthouse in Trenton, the capital of New Jersey. Trenton is so heavily black that the governor doesn't even live there. As we rolled through blasted neighborhoods the Japanese' eyes got bigger and bigger. It was a hot day, and Trentonians of both sexes were sitting on the curb, dressed and coiffed in their uniquely colorful way, expressing themselves energetically. The Japanese were shaking their heads. "There is nothing like this in Japan," one said in a low voice. If this was diversity, they weren't interested.

That day, I learned there is no good Japanese expression for "abandoned building." There are words for "rundown building" or "untenanted building," but Japanese just don't leave a building empty and boarded up. Land is too valuable for that and, besides, it would be an eyesore..................

Edited by: Nelson
    Promote the NationalisTimes—order and deploy extra copies—bring all whom you know into the Forum! Fresh opportunities arise constantly. ANU.ORG is THE number one news page of them all. \"JUST DO IT”...

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson

You think you've got problems, Michael? Some of my best Virginia lines actually came down from New England! And the family of myfamousest ancestor (M.D. Hoge) firstmade landfall at PERTH AMBOY, JEW JERSEY, in 1682.

Poor Nelson such trouble family tree but at least they had the good sense to flee to the South! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

And what do you know, the "greatest generation" on both sides of my family fled ole Richmond for NYC—all but two uncles and their families, thus the liberalism (or conservatiberalism) of most of my relatives today. But good news: one of the least likely of all is now showing glimmerings of interest in his Southern heritage! I've started him off on our GGGF who turns out to have been Robert E. Lee's wartime doctor:

http://famousamericans.net/samuelmerrifieldbemiss/
    <BLOCKQUOTE =cite cite="" ="cite">
    <DL>
    <DD>http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/511731_4 </DD></DL></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE =cite cite="" ="cite">
    <DL>
    <DD>
    <H3>The Cardiac Illness of General Lee</H3>
    <DD>In the spring of 1863, Lee developed a cardiac illness characterized by severe chest pains. His physicians were Drs. Lafayette Guild and Samuel Merrifield Bemiss. His recovery from this illness was slow, and there has been much speculation regarding this illness and its relationship to the battle of Gettysburg that summer.[5] The only reference that Lee ever made of this was in his letter to Jefferson Davis, dated August 8, 1863, from Orange, VA.
    <DL>
    <DD>I have not yet recovered from the attack I experienced this spring. I am becoming more and more incapable of exertion, and thus am prevented from making the personal examinations and giving the personal supervision to the operations in the field which I feel to be necessary. I am so dull that in making use of the eyes of others I am frequently misled. Everything, therefore, points to the advantages to be derived from a new commander.[6]

</DD></DL>
    <DD>Lee's health improved, and for six years he had no additional cardiac symptoms........... </DD></DL></BLOCKQUOTE>

Promote the NationalisTimes—order and deploy extra copies—bring all whom you know into the Forum! Fresh opportunities arise constantly. ANU.ORG is THE number one news page of them all. \"JUST DO IT”...